Mixin’ With the Parson Redheads
Filed under: Mixin' With Series,Mixtapes | Posted by: jody
This week’s mixtape comes from Los Angeles’ own Parson Redheads. They did the Top 10 Songs To Drive To While On The I-5, On Tour, During The Sunrise. With the Beachwood Sparks, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, America, and more, this is the perfect dreamy sunshine-filled mixtape! If you are in LA, be sure to check out the Parson Redheads Friday night at the Echoplex (right below the Echo).
1. “Canyon Ride” – Beachwood Sparks
– This is such a classic ballad from a should-be legendary band. These guys are gentlemen after my own heart, and there is nothing better than listening to this under an open sky.
2. “It Makes No Difference” – The Band
– This makes my heart break. Sometimes, while driving on the road – you just need a good cry. Sometimes you’re missin’ someone close to your heart. Sometimes you just need a good cry, just because. This is the song to cry to, while everyone else in the van is sleeping. Perfect.
3. “For a Dancer” – Jackson Browne
– As you see, I like to start my early morning drives mellow. This is such a perfect mellow driving song. The steady drum beat through the whole thing just keeps you going. You just relax … but not TOO much. Also, this is another good crier.
4. “Helplessly Hoping” – Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
– This a great mellow tune to watch the sun come up to. Also, it is fantastic to sing along with. You can choose one of the four harmonies, and try to get it all. Then you can listen to it again and try your hand at another! First sing David’s! Then on to Neil’s! Its like a game.
5. “Moonlight Mile” – The Rolling Stones
– I’ll admit, I’m not much of a Rolling Stones fan. But this song is SO good. The way the guitar and vocal melody creep in at the beginning. So beautiful!
6. “Baby Stop Cryin” – Bob Dylan
– I wanted to put a rather unknown Bob Dylan song on the list. This one is great. My friend Brent put it on a mixtape for me a while ago, and the first time I listened to it was on an early morning drive. So it just fits well in that setting for me.
7. “Here Comes A Regular” – The Replacements
– C’mon … its just so good. Especially if you’d had a show the night before, and had some fun with drinks. You will relate to everything that is said.
8. “Time To Move On” – Tom Petty
– From the Wildflowers album, which is just about the best road-album of all time. I figured this one is about as good as it gets – the title says it all.
9. “Wake Up Time” – Tom Petty
– Okay. So I had to put another from Wildflowers. Because if you combine the beauty of this song, with the beauty and power of a road-trip during sunrise, I hear rumors that an angel gets her wings.
10. “Ventura Highway” – America
– Sure you’re not driving on Ventura Highway. You’re on the I-5. But that can be overlooked. You can actually FEEL the breeze on your face when you listen to this song.
1 Comment so far
Leave a comment
Leave a comment