Thursday September 11th 2008, 6:49 pm
The Band Goes Twang: A When You Awake Mixtape
Filed under: Mixtapes,Twang Series | Posted by:
For the lastest edition of our Twang Series, we would like to pay homage to the fine men that gave us our namesake (“When You Awake” was a tune that appeared on their self titled second album), The Band. Gene Clark, My Morning Jacket, Steve Young, Aretha Franklin featuring Duane Allman and more ably cover both the songs that they co-wrote with Bob Dylan during the Basement Tape sessions as well as tunes from their solo career after. The one thing that this tape is missing that I couldn’t find for the life of me is a version of the Beatles doing “To Kingdom Come” on the bootleg album The Get Back Journals. Anyone have access to that? I would be eternally grateful! If you missed the last entries in our Twang series, be sure to check out the tapes from Tim Hardin and Townes Van Zandt.

The Band Goes Twang: A When You Awake Mixtape

1. Steve Young- This Wheel’s On Fire (Rick Danko, Bob Dylan)
2. Gene Clark- Tear’s Of Rage (Richard Manuel, Bob Dylan)
3. Aretha Franklin and Duane Allman- The Weight (Robbie Robertson)
4. Richie Havens- The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (Robbie Robertson)
5. The Byrds- Nothing Was Delivered (Bob Dylan, The Band)
6. Bobby Charles- Small Town Talk (Rick Danko, Bobby Charles)
7. Doris- Whispering Pines (Richard Manuel, Robbie Robertson)
8. My Morning Jacket- It Makes No Difference (Robbie Robertson)
9. Eric Clapton- All Our Past Times (Rick Danko, Eric Clapton)
10. Three Dog Night- Chest Fever (Robbie Robertson)

12 Comments so far

nice…I also recommend Rick Nelson’s cover of “I Shall Be Released” here, even if it is of Dylan origin. it’s on “In Concert at the Troubadour” along with two other Dylan tracks.

Comment by Brendan 10.23.08 @ 11:20 pm

Could you do another link to this one please, as all the zshare ones seem to be broken? The Band is my favourite band 😀

Comment by Adam 12.03.08 @ 3:53 pm

its’ reup-ed!

Comment by jody 12.04.08 @ 6:15 pm

The mediafire link isn’t working for me…I really want this mixtape! 🙁

Comment by Bo 01.15.09 @ 12:14 pm

nvm it works!

Comment by Bo 01.15.09 @ 12:58 pm

[…] over at the new collaborative blog, Groover’s Paradise. For those of you familiar with my Band Goes Twang mixtape, you’ll recognize the Aretha Franklin/Duane Allman version of the Band’s […]

Pingback by When You Awake 04.27.09 @ 6:05 pm

Great mix tape!

Another suggestion:
Deadstring Brothers – Get Up Jake

Cheers,
MR

Comment by Meaty Ramone 05.10.09 @ 5:26 am

[…] Goes Twang Part 4, the newest in the series of the …Goes Twang mixtapes, previously featuring the Band, Gene Clark, Leon Russell and many more! Get right to it here and examine the tracklist and some […]

Pingback by MIXTAPE: BOB DYLAN GOES TWANG PT. 4 BY WHEN YOU AWAKE 06.26.09 @ 5:57 pm

[…] You can download an entire mixtape of Band covers — this one (minus Vedder), Richie Havens, Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton and more — over at When You Awake. […]

Pingback by Music Monday: It Makes No Difference « Mike Ingram 09.28.09 @ 11:07 am

[…] more on Steve Young, check out the following When You AWake mixtapes that have featured his tunes: The Band Goes Twang Bob Dylan Goes Twang: Part Three Hank Williams Goes Twang: Part One Hank Williams Goes Twang: Part […]

Pingback by When You Awake 12.12.09 @ 5:21 pm

You forgot about Buck Owens and his band doing Cripple Creek and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, live! They performed it on their ‘Live in Scandinavia’ album.

Comment by Kyle 08.19.10 @ 4:01 pm

Hello there, You have done a great job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this website.

Comment by Becky 11.03.12 @ 3:39 am