We are giving away a pair of tickets to see Chad VanGaalen and Women this Saturday, March 28th at Spaceland. The show is 21 plus. To win, e-mail whenyouawakela @ gmail.com (subject: Chad) and tell us your favorite song about trees (in honor of Chad’s tune “Willow Tree”, which you can hear below.) Include your first and last name in the email. One winner will be picked and contacted. Tix for the show are $10 in advance or $12 at the door.
Chad VanGaalen- Willow Tree
Hacienda- She’s Got A Hold On Me
Continuing with this week’s “Bands I Missed at SXSW” theme, we have Hacienda from San Antonio, Texas. They count the Black Keys and Dr Dog among their biggest fans and are actually set to depart on a worldwide tour this April opening for Dan Auerbach (of the Black Keys). Complete tour dates are after the jump.
Jody’s Top Five SXSW Moments:
1. Deer Tick singing “La Bamba” and getting the whole crowd in that tiny little bar dancing
2. Going to the Barton Pool Hot Springs with folks from Esser, Free Moral Agents and Chocolate Industries. That water was RE-FRESH-ING
3. The part during the Akron/Family set at Mess With Texas when half of B.O.B.’s entourage came on stage and started dancing along and banging away on cymbals to that crazy Akron groove
4. Taking a break from all the music and booze for some good ol’ fashioned bowling with Jenna and Sam
5. Chatting about bats, bees and Jesse Jackson with the boys of Flosstradamus over ice cream at Amys on South Congress
Jenna’s Top Five SXSW Moments:
1. Sitting backstage at the Au Revoir Simone show with kids of Esser, music and photo fun all around
2. Felice Brothers performance, I think that’s where I nearly lost my camera and my voice to dancing and ‘singing’
3. Getting to know new faces while dipping my feet In the Barton Pool Hot Springs
4. Feeling the sudden impulse to go bowling, venturing out in search of bowling alley, finally finding one and playing four-five kick ass games
5. Amys by the university, Amys on S. Congress, Amys in the Airport
More coverage, including our Best/Worst List, is after the jump. Did you go to SXSW this year? What were your favorite moments?
On Thursday April 2nd, Dr Dog will be performing live on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon in New York City and you have the chance to attend the taping. Seats are highly limited so they make it a contest to gain entry. To win, click here and enter DRD in the entry form. They will contact you if you are chosen. Good luck!
Dr Dog- From (Acoustic Version)
The Deep Dark Woods – Hang Me, Oh Hang Me
Another band I wanted to see but missed at SXSW: Deep Dark Woods from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. They have a handful of Canadian tour dates coming up but nothing below the border. You boys coming out to California anytime soon?
The Mooney Suzuki returns to When You Awake with a brand new mixtape! Here is drummer Will Rockwell-Scott’s “Top Ten Underrated Americana Songs”. With tunes by The Band, Little Feat, Allman Brothers and more, this is the perfect Tuesday morning wakeup mix (ok, I admit that it’s 1 pm and I’m just barely getting out of bed…but I DID just fly in late last night from a long and very tiring trip). Check out the mixtape after the jump and if you missed Part One by lead singer Sammy James, Jr., click here.
We are very honored to announce that we’ve been asked to join a new collaborative blog called Groover’s Paradise. We will be posting songs for your listening pleasure alongside some of our own personal music gurus, including Paul from Setting the Woods on Fire, Brendan from The Rising Storm, Lance from The Adios Lounge, Wim, aka Ramone666 from For The Sake Of The Song and Scott from Pretty Goes With Pretty. The blog focuses on music pre-2000 and each post will feature a song that all of us think you should know and love. I just posted my first tune, a number by John Simon (co-written by Robbie Robertson) called “Davy’s On The Road Again” from his 1970 album John Simon’s Album, over there this morning. Click here to check it out!
Justin Townes Earle- Live at SXSW 2009
I’ve decided to dedicate all of the Video of the Days this week to the musicians that I sadly missed at SXSW. Yesterday, I featured the Nashville group Those Darlins. Today, I have another Nashville-based artist, Justin Townes Earle. Luckily though, he’s set to play a show next week here in Los Angeles on April 2nd at Spaceland alongside Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit (of Drive-By Truckers fame).
Sorry I haven’t been posting much these past couple of days! I’ll be back in Los Angeles tomorrow and will regale you with stories/pictures/etc from SXSW. In the meantime, you can check out my Twitter to get a taste of what I’ve been up to in Texas (like bowling with Sam Spiegel of N.A.S.A and more).
Those Darlins- Wild One
Those Darlins were one of the bands that I really wanted to check out at SXSW this year but kept missing. 30 bands in 4 days was pretty good. I just wish it could have been 31. Has anyone caught this band live before?