Wednesday February 01st 2012, 6:25 pm
Old Crow Medicine Show Shakeup
Filed under: News | Posted by:

Old Crow Medicine Show

Old Crow Medicine Show recently announced that the great Critter Fuqua (farthest to the left), one of the founding members of the group and writer of Old Crow classics like “Take ‘em Away” and “James River Blues”, is returning to the band after a few years break. The announcement, however, also included the news that Willie Watson will make his exit from the band (2nd from the left). The official statement reads:  “Old Crow Medicine Show have decided to part ways with Willie Watson. They wish him all the best in his future endeavors.”

YouTube Preview ImageOld Crow Medicine Show- Wagon Wheel

It’s a very bittersweet day for Old Crow fans, but we wish Willie the best of luck and can’t wait to see what he does next. As for Old Crow Medicine Show, the band has recorded a new record that is set to be released this year via ATO Records. We’ll give you the details as we get them. Now for old times sake, here’s Critter, Willie and the band with “Wagon Wheel”.

24 Comments so far

The guy’s irreplaceable. From now on they’ll just be OCMS minus Willie. Damn sad.

Comment by Dan 03.13.12 @ 6:31 pm

Agreed. Willie’s voice and guitar IS what makes OCMS, well OCMS..too bad..I REALLY want to know WHY

Comment by Matty 05.19.12 @ 4:03 pm

Critter left without explaination.

Critter re-enters then Willie leaves.

Seems there is some conflict here? Do they not get on together? It seems logical if nothing else.

Comment by mat 05.20.12 @ 11:29 pm

willy has a voice that stands out for sure! he carries the high end harmony..i cant picture many of my favorites sung with out him..

Comment by j.michael, pa. 06.05.12 @ 3:51 pm

willy carries the high end harmony..i cant picture many of my favorites sung with out him..

Comment by mikey, pa. 06.05.12 @ 3:53 pm

won’t be going to see them without Willie..just so sucks…they shall see…

Comment by amos 07.07.12 @ 12:30 pm

OCMS have lost its unique talent! Willie totally gave the band its magic. So disappointed. I look forward to see what he gets up to next.

Comment by Dave 07.18.12 @ 1:50 am

Been following OCMS since 2004. Saw them in central park last week. Aint it enough was nice but ptherwise a dead show. They need Willie. Without him there’s no soul. Just “glamgrass” Ketch, Critter and tagalongs trying to channel the old majic. No idea what happened but it aint the same without Willie. Rip OCMS.

Comment by Cree 08.09.12 @ 11:02 pm

Oh dear, they won’t have that deep, mystical, esoteric quality without Willie, he was the perfect, soulful, lonesome contrast to the rock star Ketch. I knew they’d been without Critter for some time, and with great success, but I doubt whether he can give them what they’ll miss without Willie Watson.

Comment by M.L. McKenzie 08.16.12 @ 1:44 am

I’ve been an ocms for only about three years. I have to say that without Willie it will be a struggle for the band. I can only explain it like this, Willie just made it cool!!!

Comment by bill 08.30.12 @ 4:48 pm

I have to say that I was disappointed at first, but saw OCMS in St. Louis post-Willie and they were still phenomenal. In my opinion, Carry Me Back is a much better album than Tennessee Pusher. It’s sad because I loved Wille’s voice just as much as anyone, but bands change. It happens.

Screw these fools above… May the crow keep flying.

Comment by Eric 09.21.12 @ 9:58 am

i gave willy a quarter of top drawer weed after a gig in the uk. he was the only one interested. possibly the best tenor live i have ever heard. and im 45. you dont let the magic leave guys!!!!

Comment by jonny99 09.26.12 @ 8:47 am

Want willie back

Comment by sonia 10.18.12 @ 11:07 pm

Want willie back
.critter or whoeve left first want ,willie watson backplz

Comment by sonia 10.18.12 @ 11:13 pm

Willie’s voice is pure honey. Saw them recently and Chance has some pipes but doesn’t even come close to what Willie has. They all are great musicians but the show just wasn’t the same without Willie. Willie, Willie, Willie!!!!

Comment by ken 11.01.12 @ 9:27 am

OCMS is not OCMS without Willie. Fix it.

Comment by Jimbo 12.01.12 @ 3:43 am

Yeah ocms. Listen to every single one of your fans when they tell you. Your not old crow medicine show without Willie Watson.
I’ve always loved this band.
But the main thing I loved is the flat picking and voice Willie brought . Good luck. Bring Willie back and this fan will be back on board.

Comment by Dylan Crosby 12.29.12 @ 12:27 pm

i really miss willy too. imagine the grateful dead without bobby weir … ocms needs that cheese if you please. come on guys, kill a fifth with willy wake him up in the a.m. and tell him “we want you back, buddy”.

Comment by judson 01.03.13 @ 11:57 am

Saw old crow in Philly in Aug.they were better then ever. Watson’s harmonys are missed but ketch is and always will be the force behind old crow.

Comment by brian witmer 01.14.13 @ 4:10 pm

Just been to see OCMS in Glasgow, didn’t know Willie had left the band and I was major disappointed. His voice is amazing and he sings lead on nearly all my favourite OCMS songs. Ketch and the boys put on a great show but the sound just want the same without WW. Can’t wit to hear what solo works he comes up with.

Comment by Lucy 02.02.13 @ 4:11 am

Going to see old crow in May. I’m totally excited but also anxious to see how they perform without Willie, but staying positive. Keep the hope alive!

Comment by Kara 03.31.13 @ 11:34 pm

Bring willi back

Comment by J 05.04.13 @ 3:05 pm

I think I will love OCMS no matter what. But I have this fantasy that Willie will show up in SF when I go see them in June and they will spot him in the crowd… and invite him on stage … lotsa hugs and tears… and they will rip the place up… and it will be like I died and went to heaven…

Comment by Anna 05.26.13 @ 9:22 am

willie Watson has the voice of an angel.

Comment by mark 06.13.13 @ 11:16 pm